• The Grand Lodge of Spain is the major Masonic Obedience in Spain, and the only Masonic body that maintains ties of friendship and recognition with all regular Grand Lodges worldwide. With them we share the same ancient principles of the universal Masonic fraternity.
• The universally recognized Freemasonry, brings together more than six million members worldwide.
• The Grand Lodge of Spain currently has about 3,000 members in 170 lodges spread across the geography of the state who work different Masonic Rites: Emulation, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, York Rite, modern French Rite, Rectified Scottish Rite, Swedish Rite and Schroeder.
Membership in Freemasonry is based on a free, individual and responsible decision. Masonry makes no proselytizing, so any request must come from the will and the conviction of the applicant.
The Grand Lodge of Spain is an institution absolutly open to anyone interested in learning more about Freemasonry, either out of curiosity or because they are contemplating to apply for membership. We believe it is quite advisable to have enough knowledge about the principles and purposes of Freemasonry to make a free and informed decision.
Anyone who is interested in joining Freemasonry must meet the following three requirements:
• Being a FREE person, since the application of introduction to Freemasonry must be a consequence of innate individual freedom, away from any pressure, influence, dependence, or circumstance that restricts.
• Be a person of GOOD WILL, ie, trustworthy, honest in his private life, his way of working, and of good reputation.
• BELIEF IN A SUPREME BEING or First Cause of all creation, which is commonly referred to as God, and that the Masons, while respecting the freedom of the individual to any particular belief, name as the Great Architect of the Universe.
In addition, to be a member you must be male, over 21 years old, regardless of nationality, social group or religion, have a minimum capacity of understanding of the philosophical concepts of the Order and have a “science, art, craft, or income” expressions of the old guidelines of the Order.
A candidate may be recommended by a member of the Lodge in which you want to enter, or bring your application directly to the Lodge. Your request is read at a meeting and passed by a committee composed of two or three members of the Lodge, who separately interview the petitioner in order to know each other, clarify any ideas and answer your possible questions.
After the committee reports to the Lodge, and if there is an outright request by the petitioner, it is submitted to a secret vote and universal suffrage of the members of the Lodge, and if accepted, the process is begun by leading to its initiation and joining Freemasonry as a member of the Lodge, without further rights and obligations determined by their Masonic degree.
Membership to the Order.
Membership to the Order involves rights and obligations:
• Have some time to attend meetings and committees.
• Having sufficient means in life to practice the Masonic way, that is to pay fees, and to make modest contributions to charity.
• Maintaining consistency with ethical ideals in and out of the Order.
• Working for moral progress, reason, justice, tolerance, love of your neighbor and an upright conscience.
• Commitment to the Order and its members, to study, assimilate and deepen the principles, values, and ancient customs of Freemasonry, and the legacy that is transmits.
Any member of Freemasonry can cease his membership freely in his Lodge or Obedience, immediately. Although it is possible to be excluded from a Masonic jurisdiction as a disciplinary measure, either because of dishonorable conduct in private life, or committing any regulatory proper Masonic offense.
Membership in Freemasonry does not involve any material advantage.
No ideological discussions about politics and religion are allowed.
For further information, or to apply for membership, please contact the
Provincial Grand Secretary of Andalucia
or here for other Provincial Grand Lodges of Spain